The health and safety of our residents and employees is very important to us. Although overall risk in Texas is still low, we are doing our part to keep our Hutto family healthy.
All permit inspections in occupied residences are suspended until March 31. Emergency situations and commercial permits will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Please note, this does not suspend the need for permitting and inspection overall.
We appreciate your understanding. For questions, please contact the City of Hutto Building Department at 512-846-2640.
The Permits and Inspections Division of the Development Services Department performs the review of all residential and commercial site plan and building plan applications. They issue residential and commercial construction related permits and perform on-site inspections. Our team of building inspectors visit all construction sites within the City to ensure compliance with building, energy, mechanical, environmental, drainage, erosion control, plumbing, electrical, refrigeration, and housing/zoning standards leading up to the final certificate of occupancy.
Please refer to left hand column of this page, there are links to permit applications, contractor licensing, and statistical permit data.
- Storage Buildings exceeding over 200 sq ft
- Adding to existing driveways/sidewalks in the City Right of Way
- Additions to existing structures
- Building a patio cover or concrete patio
- Change of Occupant/New Tenant Lease Space/Use
- Fences in the Historic Downtown District
- Finishing an attic, or garage to make additional living space
- Irrigation systems
- Moving more than 50 cubic yards or any amount of cut/fill on sites affected by waterways or slope hazards
- New A/C Unit (HVAC)
- New construction (commercial and residential)
- Remodels (relocation or removal of interior walls, and/or electrical, mechanical, or plumbing)
- Signs (new, re-facing, or banner)
- Swimming pools
- Water Heater/Water Softener
- Water/Wastewater connections
Please contact your Home Owners Association for additional requirements and/or deed restrictions that may apply to your project even if a city permit is not required.
If you do not have a Home Owners Association, please see your deed restrictions which are usually located in your closing documents. You can also contact the Williamson County Clerk for a copy of your property's deed restrictions.
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 Existing Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code for One and Two-Family Dwellings
- 2018 International Mechanical Code, as amended
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Fuel Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- More Information can be found at the International Code Council.
- International Code Council (ICC) Building Valuation Table ICC Building Valuation Table.
Unified Development Code
UDC Chapter 1-2 - Introduction/Administration
UDC Chapter 3 - Land Use Standards
UDC Chapter 4 - Site Design Standards
UDC Chapter 5 - Site Design Standards - FBC & OT Districts
UDC Chapter 6 - Subdivision Standards
UDC Chapter 7 - Historic Preservation
UDC Chapter 8 - Stormwater & Drainage Standards
UDC Chapter 9 - Water & Wastewater Standards
UDC Chapter 10 - FBC and OT District Tables
Other City Ordinances
How long does it take to get a permit approved?
Please allow 15 business days from time site plan application is accepted for review for any comments or permit to be issued.
New Commercial Building:
Please allow 15 business days from time building application is accepted for review for any comments or permit to be issue.
A New Commercial Building Permit Application can be submitted only after the Site Plan Application has been submitted and the first set of comments have been issued.
Please allow 15 business days from time building application is accepted for review for any comments or permit to be issued.
Please allow 10-15 business days from time building application is accepted for review for any comments or permit to be issued.
Basic repairs (water heater replacement, HVAC change out):
Irrigation and Water Softener Install:
After the building valuation is determined, please see the Development Fee Schedule to determine permit costs. If you would like assistance in the calculation of the permit, you can email us at email@example.com